animal lover, gardener, knitter, and gourmet cook


I completed my first furniture flip last night. I took my old hope chest and made some updates.

I started by removing the top and refinishing it. It was pretty beaten up and still has a distressed look to it (despite sanding the original finish off), which is not what I was going for, but here we are.

I then removed the side handles and patched as many defects as I could on the chest part of things. I used mineral chalk paint from Dixie Belle Paint Company and topped it off with their wax. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, but next time, I’m going to try their paint that has the topcoat built in and not do the waxing part. I must have used too much wax as I leave fingerprints on the chest every time I touch it. I guess I need to do some more buffing. I also had the brilliant idea to put a cedar liner in the bottom of the chest. What a pain that was! The stuff I bought at Home Depot was all warped and it made the job very difficult. I originally thought about lining the whole interior, but after the way the bottom went, that’s not going to happen. I’ll give it this much–it did smell really good. And, just for fun, I replaced the hinges and installed casters to make it easier to move around.