Wednesday, August 18

putting up

I managed to "put up" a bunch of stuff over the weekend. First up was some marinara. I did 10 pounds of tomatoes worth. This resulted in approximately three quarts for the freezer. I'm hoping to do at least one more batch, though two more would be ideal.

While the marinara was cooking, Jake and I made some zucchini bread. One loaf was eaten and the other one was frozen. I'm not a huge zucchini bread fan (I don't really like vegetables in my dessert and let's face it, zucchini bread is more dessert than bread), but this tasted pretty good.

On Sunday, I picked nine cups of basil and turned it into pesto. I tried a new pesto recipe, and luckily, it turned out well. The recipe yielded about three cups, shown in the picture. I also froze these and this is my first attempt at freezing pesto. It will be nice to have some pesto from my garden in the dead of winter.

I finally got around to cleaning my garlic and storing it (in the fridge) yesterday. I was going to take a picture, but my camera battery was dead. I got a decent harvest this year, but not as much as previous years because I didn't order enough garlic to plant last year. I remedied this situation and should have more than enough to plant in the fall. I'd really like to make some garlic braids one day. Maybe next year I will have enough garlic to do so.

No comments: