Wednesday, November 7

i said 7am

Yesterday, I was pretty tired. I spent the day at work and then came back to the hotel, ordered room service, and worked a few more hours. I probably should have gone to bed early, but I had to make some phone calls and I wanted to read a bit, so I got to bed at 11PM. My alarm was set for 6:50AM and my just-in-case wakeup call was at 7AM. I went to bed and fell right asleep. At 1AM, I was awoken by a racket--an alarm was sounding, I could hear some kind of announcement over the intercom. I looked out my window, which overlooks the interior courtyard and saw many other people doing the same thing. I also saw a bunch of people leaving the building.

I threw on some clothes and went into the hall (where the alarm was deafening). Once I got into the lobby area I could hear the announcement and it said something about an emergency and to exit the building. I stood outside for a while, but it was kind of chilly, so I went back into the lobby where a bunch of people were congregating and waited. A couple of firetrucks showed up and surrounded the building. After about 30 minutes of this, we were given the "all clear" to return to our rooms. They never actually told us what the problem was. All I heard was something about a "fire panel" needing reset.

I went back to the room and couldn't fall asleep, of course. At 2AM, I took one of my emergency benadryl that I bring along just in case I can't sleep (they always zonk me out), read a chapter from the latest Harry Potter book and finally fell asleep at 2:30.

This morning, I caught the hotel shuttle to the office and I mentioned last night to the driver. He said some drunk guy pulled a fire alarm. Nice.

So, thanks to the drunk asshat, I got to spend the day exhausted and it was quite a long day at that. I got to the office well before 8, worked all morning, then grabbed a sandwich and pretty much worked through lunch. The person I was traveling with this week (who, by the way wasn't woken up by the alarms. I don't understand how that could be possible) was unavailable for dinner both yesterday and today. When my manager found out about this, she offered to take me out for dinner tonight. The guy I report to (project lead) also came. We were supposed to go out at 5:30, but she got hung up in a call so we didn't leave the office till about 6:15, which didn't get me back here till 8:15. It was a nice dinner though and it was really nice of them to take me out.

That said, I'm still tired. I think I might try to go to bed a little earlier tonight. But, my day tomorrow shouldn't be too bad so it won't really matter if I'm tired or not--I'm coming home!

1 comment:

bachelorfarmer said...

I admit it. I pulled the alarm.